Here’s a list of some of my favorite things about fandom for you:
- People write so many really cute stories about babies. I love babies so much so kid-centered stories and how popular in fandom they are makes me ridiculously happy. Give me a single-parent AU ANYDAY!
- Good fandom meta. I love when I can find folks who write in-depth meta about underappreciated characters (like characters of color and white female characters) doing awesome things.
- People who write backstories for Finn. I love them.
- Memes. Oh man, I love memes. Fandom memes are the best memes, in my opinion.
- Long fan fiction. Oh man, back when I had free time and wasn’t working on my thesis all the time, I would go and get a couple 100k+ stories loaded up on my kindle (from one of the many fandoms I lurk in, I’m not that picky at that length) and just… bask in brilliant prose. (I have two stories I’ve been reading since I was like a teenager that are like a million words long and I would spend a day or two just… experiencing those stories.)
- I do like the community and friendships I’ve found. I have friends from ages ago who I still talk to and share stuff with even though we aren’t even in the same fandoms any more. It just feels good to be able to sign on to discord (though, not right now… I somehow broke discord on my laptop) or twitter and scream incoherently about stuff with people who get me.
- Cosplaying. Oh man, I love seeing people’s in-progress cosplays and just… it’s so cool?? I’m so proud of them all??
- I like the fact that fandom writes AUs about everything (except you know… shit they shouldn’t). I really do like reading about characters I love in college, as elderly people, as vampires, as detectives. Give me all the (totally amazing and not ism filled) alternate universe works!